While aging is inevitable, it is reassuring to know you don’t have to look your age. Nowadays, you have the option to avail of face lifting treatments that can make you look years younger. Most people consider getting a facelift when they hit their early forties or fifties.
In your early forties or fifties, your facial features can go through some dramatic change because of volume loss and loss of fats in your cheeks. This can result in deep smile lines that can run from your nose to your mouth.
A dropping effect can also occur and can change the appearance of your face. Fortunately, you can always avail of face lifting treatments to bring back that youthful glow. Face lifts can be surgical or non-invasive. Which one is best for you?
Conventional or surgical facelift is also known as rhytidectomy. This procedure is done to reposition the soft tissues of the lower and mid face as well as the neck to create a more refreshed and youthful contour.
Surgical facelifts are also used to address specific problem areas like deep creases, sagging cheeks, excess fat and skin on the neck, and drooping jowls that can muddy up your crisp jawline.
Nowadays, a vast range of non surgical face lifting treatments are now available. Non-surgical techniques can include dermal fillers, fat transfer, ultrasound, laser treatments, and laser lifts.
Another surgical technique called liquid face lift has also gained massive popularity. Liquid facelift is a combination of Botox and well-placed dental fillers. This results in a facelift effect without using surgery or anesthesia.
Surgical Facelift Pros
Traditional facelifts can change your skin’s appearance in various ways. Some of the pros of surgical facelifts include:
- It tightens the facial muscles. Plastic surgeons use surgical facelifts to tighten the skin’s underlying structure and create a better configuration. The process also has less tension on the skin so it helps ensure the results last longer.
- It repairs loose skin. Plastic surgeons will tighten and trim the sagging skin to ensure a more natural and youthful look.
- It improved facial contours. A mid facelift can create a smoother look for the cheeks and the lower eyelids. Lower facelifts can create a more attractive jawline contour and smoothens out the neck area.
Non-surgical facelifts provide a lot of benefits. Some of the most remarkable include:
- Minimal pain involved. Non-surgical options offer minimal discomfort and pain. This is great news for those who have little pain tolerance.
- Provides a naturally rejuvenated look. In non-surgical facelifts, your skin is not pulled or cut tight but volumized and plumped. This gives your skin a more youthful look.
- Requires minimal aftercare. Non-surgical facelifts will require minimal aftercare. Any minor discomfort experienced is also often short-lived. Moreover, it can be easily managed using over-the-counter medications.
- Fewer risks involved. Even when performed with the utmost care, surgical options still have certain risks like anesthesia complications and infections.
- Procedure time is short. Since non-surgical facelifts will not use any anesthesia or other medications, the procedure is often completed in an hour. However, since each patient is different, the procedure can still vary from one patient to another.
Which Option is Right for You?
This is something your doctor can help decide. The answer to this will depend on several key factors including your age and other circumstances. It is recommended that you check with your dermatologist so you will be provided with expert guidance.
Infographic provided by Venus Concept, a leading provider of hair restoration devices